Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Hugeness of God

Last week I attended a new Bible study class about the "hugeness" of God.

There is so much that could be done with the concept of God's hugeness; so many lessons that could be taught. But the first class in this study went in a direction I could never have imagined. Even now, almost a week later, I'm still filled with wonder as I think about it.

It was amazing, delightful, and almost overwhelming. I was awestruck as I watched a demonstration of just how big God really is.

We watched a DVD filled with pictures taken by the Hubble telescope. I'd seen a couple of them before. But most were new to me. There were galaxies I'd never heard of. These two, millions of light years away, were my favorites.

The Sombrero Galaxy

The Whirlpool Galaxy

I always knew the universe was big. But I was struck anew at just how huge this universe, called into being by God, really is.

We were asked to write down our immediate reaction after watching the film. My reaction surprised me. After watching this, I should feel incredibly small. But I didn't feel that way at all. Instead, I wrote, "I feel so loved." It was chilly in the room that night, but as I wrote those words a warm feeling encompassed me.

This week, as I've thought back over those amazing pictures taken in the huge expanse that is space, I thought about God and what his purpose was in creating the universe. Could it simply be about showing us the wonders he's capable of? About showing us his power? Maybe.

But then I had another thought. Maybe he wanted to show us that, in spite of how huge he is, God loves us as unique individuals. We're not just minute specks on a blip in this incredible universe. We are loved and adored by the very one capable of breathing all of this into being.

Imagine this. God knew us before we were even born. He knows our names, our thoughts, our hurts, and our laughter. In a universe so large, with so much happening every second, he never forgets about us. He still hears my prayers. He still gives me peace and comfort.

This is a picture of the center of the Whirlpool Galaxy, over twenty milllion light years away:


Wow. This struck me speechless when I saw it the first time. Even now, I'm still humbled by it.

I encourage you to take a look at some of the pictures taken from the Hubble Space Telescope and as you do, think about God and how huge he truly is, and that he loves us so much more than we could even begin to imagine.

Photos courtesy of Hubble Site:
http://hubblesite.org/

10 comments:

  1. Suzie, Thanks for sharing that today! It is incredible and such a good reminder for me to think beyond own little world that sometimes seems too much in itself. Lots to think about..... I am so blessed to have you for more than my sister! Love you and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible post Suzie. In Sunday School this morning we were talking about how we view ourselves in relation to God and we talked about how huge God really is and how small we are in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie, just focus on what you can do each day, in your world. I think the hugeness is there to show you how much YOU matter. I'm blessed to have you, too, and I can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzie, I've missed you! Thanks so much for this beautiful post. This summer, we saw the Hubble 3-D movie in Imax and I was stunned by the amazing glory of God's handiwork present in the universe. He is in the mighty as well as the small. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Louise,

    Wow. what a coincidence. I think this is such a fascinating subject. I can't wait to dig deeper into it, so I'm really looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie D! Hi! I would love to see that 3-D movie. THat would be so amazing. I'll have to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Susie D, PS: I've missed you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzie, fascinating post! Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Narelle, hi! (waving across the huge word) Thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad you found my thoughts inspiring. :-) I forgot to add that if you click on the little pictures, you will be able to see them in a larger size. That was as big as they would post here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, Suzie. It's so easy to think, "God is so big. The universe is so big. And I'm so small." But you're SO right! Each one of us is so very important to God. Sometimes we need that reminder! You gave me some things to ponder. :)

    Love the pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete