Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ooh, La La. Seattle, France, Romance, Pasteries...and Whidbey Island, too.

I was so excited when I came home from work yesterday. Not because it was the end of the work week—an intense week where I started three classes and wasn’t able to write a single word on my manuscript—but because a cardboard carton from Amazon was wedged in my mailbox. I love boxes from Amazon, B&N, and Overstock. They always contain my favorite things…books.

Hooray for books! My husband says I have way more than I need. But I don’t think there’s such a thing as too many books.

As I scrambled to get the carton out of my mailbox, scraping my fingers in the process, I realized it was too small to contain both of the books I ordered. Only half my order had arrived. But my disappointment quickly faded when I pulled the book out of the box and saw the delicious cover. My treasure? An inspirational novel, Pièce de Résistance by Sandra Byrd. Book number three in the French Twist series featuring an adorable heroine, Lexi Stuart.

If you’ve read the first two books in this series, then you’ve probably been waiting for this book just so you can feast your eyes on the drool-worthy cover. Each book cover in the French Twist series is enough to make the most dedicated dieter waver.

If you haven’t read the first two books, you’re in for a treat. Let me recap them for you.

Book One: Let Them Eat Cake
Lexi Stuart is fresh out of college and unable to find a job. Her love life isn’t so great, either. But the course of her life changes when she accepts a job at her favorite French bakery. The inner-workings of the bakery are enough to keep the reader engaged, but author Sandra Byrd mixes romance with an inspirational journey amidst a bustling Seattle setting. Oh, yes, and Lexi visits Whidbey Island, too.


Book Two: Bon Appétit
This book follows Lexi to a small village in France where she will apprentice in a family owned bakery. Your mouth will water over more than the cover since the author has included several recipes. I found this to be my favorite of the first two books because I could so easily imagine myself in Lexi’s place as she struggles to please everyone around her. Things get difficult for Lexi as she finds herself torn between the man she left behind in Seattle and the French single dad who is her boss.

Book Three: Pièce de Résistance
That brings us to Pièce de Résistance and Lexi’s return to Seattle, (notice the Space Needle on the background of the cover?) where she’s put in charge of a new high-end French bakery. She only has a few months to prove herself and make the business a success, but it won’t be easy. Romance proves to be a challenge as well, since both men are still in her life, but Lexi is relying on God to show her the way.

I started reading Pièce de Résistance last night, and was thoroughly hooked—especially after the author mentioned Lexi’s vacation on Whidbey Island. Since I can’t wait to see how Lexi’s romantic dilemma untangles, I’m headed the beach where I can spend the day reading and soaking up the last of the bit of sunshine.

The French Twist series is the perfect recipe for a satisfying read: Seattle, France, pastries and romance. Oh, with a dash of Whidbey Island, too.

I suppose you don’t have to have read the first two books to read Pièce de Résistance, but for purposes of personal pleasure, I would highly recommend it.

Okay, I’m off to finish this yummy book. But before I go, I want to know, have you ever been to Whidbey Island?

2 comments:

  1. I miss Whidbey Island very much! In fact I talk about it so much I think I may have talked David into moving back there in a few years when the kiddos are out of school. I miss Ivars, the Ferry, Seabolts, Dairy Queen, Seattle of course, 4th of July in Oak Harbor, City Beach..and so much more ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Whidbey Island. I'm not from that part of the world but my husband is.

    And Sandra Byrd is coming to Seekerville. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete